Ideal candidates for this position have practical experience managing administration, operations and/or finance for an organisation implementing activities internationally, ideally in an NGO context. A successful Head of Administration and Finance will demonstrate an ability to adapt organisational administration and finance policies, procedures and systems across an organisation functioning in multiple countries and reflecting local legislation and other requirements. We are seeking a dynamic, customer service-oriented manager with an ability to provide leadership to a team of professionals, work across cultures successfully and sensitively, and contribute to our efforts to protect human rights defenders across Eastern Europe and the Western Balkans.
This position is based in Oslo, Norway with some international travel (approx. 10%) required.
- Manage HRHF administrative functions; including,
- Prepare and/or update and ensure compliance with organisational policies related to Human Resources; Risk Management; Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE); Travel Security; Information Technology; and others, as assigned.
- Oversee preparation, implementation and maintenance of relevant manuals, procedures and routines related to organisational administrative and human resources policies.
- Ensure functioning of HRHF offices within legal requirements related to administration, operations, and human resources management in countries in which HRHF has established offices and representation (Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, and Georgia).
- Liaise, in coordination with relevant HRHF staff, with relevant local authorities in countries HRHF has offices and representation on issues related to administrative issues.
- Coordinate the implementation of HR policies, including appraisals, contract renewals, and updates to employment policies.
- Oversee organisational staff travel processes to ensure staff safety in the field.
- Coordinate HRHF internal monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Monitor, with Programmatic Heads, non-financial risks to HRHF; and establish, maintain and manage an effective system of controls to manage that risk.
- Ensure HRHF archives and administrative files are maintained and up to date.
- Oversee the IT function, providing support and direction to relevant HRHF staff and/or consultants and contractors with IT responsibilities.
- Coordinate and further develop organisation’s resource mobilisation efforts, including coordinating and overseeing progress and the processes of fundraising.
- Coordinate, and ensure timely and positive, donor reporting
- Ensure effective planning, organisation and reporting of internal meetings and events.
- Manage HRHF finance functions; including
- Ensure that adequate financial management procedures and systems are in place, and that HRHF’s accounting practices, compliance, and standards are in accordance with quality and policy requirements.
- Work closely with the Director and Programme Heads on financial and budgetary issues.
- Ensure accurate, timely and efficient financial reporting and record-keeping.
- Coordinate and lead auditing processes.
- Manage financial planning and budgeting processes.
- Prepare and/or update and ensure compliance with contracting policies; accounting policies; financial reporting policies; and other finance policies.
- Oversee preparation, implementation and maintenance of relevant manuals, procedures and routines related to organisational finance policies.
- Create and oversee contract management system and routines.
- Monitor financial risks to HRHF; and establish, maintain and manage an effective system of financial controls to manage risk.
- Manage HRHF Board Support; including,
- Coordinate preparation of documents and materials for Board meetings and seminars, in partnership with Programme Heads, at the direction of Director.
- Report to the Board on relevant organisational administrative or finance topics, at the direction of the Director.
- Be responsible for the organisation and reporting of Board meetings.
- Be responsible for the organisation of board members’ participation at HRHF events and travels.
- Provide leadership to Administration and Finance team; including,
- Coordinate and ensure timely development of annual organisational planning, including programme plans and strategies and related documents.
- Manage and supervise Administration and Finance team staff.
- Lead development of annual Administrative and Finance strategies and plans in-line with overall organisational mission and goals.
- Coordinate closely with Programme Heads and programmatic staff across the organisation.
- Serve as member of HRHF’s Leadership Team; including,
- Contribute actively to HRHF’s overall performance and further development as a whole in close collaboration with other members of Leadership Team.
- Serve as Leadership Team secretary, organising meetings and ensuring smooth flow of information following meetings.
Qualifications / skills / knowledge
- Ability to adapt organisational administration and finance policies, procedures and systems across an organisation functioning in multiple countries and reflecting local legislation and other requirements.
- Knowledge of principles and practices in not-for-profit administration and finance.
- Ability to work with relevant administration and finance software
- Familiarity with civil society and the legal, regulatory, and funding environment in which HRHF operates, is an advantage
- Ability to work with ease across cultures
- Fluency in Norwegian and English is mandatory
- Fluency in Russian and /or French is a distinct advantage.
Education / experience requirements
- At least 7 years of international practical experience in a senior financial/administrative management position preferably in an international NGO (preferred but not exclusive).
- Strong experience in working with national partners, local government authorities
- Demonstrated experience in implementing organisation-wide administrative and finance policies, procedures, and systems.
- Administrative or finance experience in an organisation with offices in multiple countries, a plus.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Professional certification in finance, accounting, or administration preferred
HRHF is currently accepting applications, and conducting interviews, for this position on a rolling basis. To apply, submit your CV and application here. The deadline for applications is 15 April, 2020 at 17:00 CET.
About Human Rights House Foundation
Human Rights House Foundation (HRHF) is an international organisation which protects, empowers and supports human rights defenders and their organisations. To accomplish this, HRHF brings organisations together in Human Rights Houses and unites the Houses in an international network.
HRHF advocates with partner organisations to promote the freedoms of assembly, association, and expression, and the right to be a human rights defender at home and abroad, utilising its consultative status at the United Nations and participatory status at the Council of Europe.
Today, independent human rights organisations work together in 17 Human Rights Houses in 11 countries. The Houses are located in Eastern & Western Europe, the Caucasus, and the Balkans.
HRHF has 15 staff and is based in Oslo, with an office in Geneva and representation in Brussels and Tbilisi.